Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Funny Observation

This morning I was flipping the channels and I came across HSN (television shopping channel) and I saw that they are selling kits to make your own melt and pour soap, bath scrubs and body oil. For $44.90 (event price) you received 3 essential oils (lavender, citrus, vanilla), packaging materials (labels, bottles, etc) , and supplies for what kit you chose (melt and pour soap base, safflower oils, salts). I thought the presentation was nice but I thought that it was rather expensive.

If you would like to see what HSN is selling to make your bath salts, M&P soap and body oils, you can check out the following links:

Bath and Body Oil Kit

Lisa's Kitchen Gentle Soap Kit

Lisa's Kitchen Sea Salt Scrub Kit


Also sold separately were 3 additional bottles of essential oils (.34 oz each) of lilac, gardenia and rose for $25.00, Lisa's Kitchen Soap Extras Refill Kit for $25.00 and a kit that contained colorants (red, yellow and blue) and dried flowers (lavender, angel wings which are my favorite and a couple of others).

I would admit that these kits are of a higher quality than you would find at Michaels and they probably are a great starter kit for someone who wants to try and make these products for the first time. But I think I would rather purchase a larger quantity of supplies to make more than having to go back and repurchase the kit if I wanted to make more. It would probably cost you alot less in the long run....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is interesting to see! The packaging and presentation is really pretty.

I'm surprised to see that they don't have any color or additives so they will just be clear scented bars. As a beginner I would probably prefer a white suspension soap base (unless going for a totally natural base) with some additives like lavender and oatmeal. But that's just me! :)

Thanks for sharing. It's great to know what's going on in the M&P world outside of my usual haunts!

Soap Crafter said...

Thought it was a nice presentation also. Would you believe they sold colorants separately?