Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mineral Make Up Class @ DeAnza College

On March 29th, I finally got the opportunity to take Lori Nova's Mineral Make-up class at DeAnza College. Last year at this time, I tried to sign up for the class and it was full. And I have to report there were 30 students enrolled in this class. I think this may have been her largest class ever! I believe in previous classes at DeAnza she has had at least 20 students. So if you ever see a class taught by her at DeAnza, sign up immediately because her classes fill up quickly.

If you missed this opportunity, Lori will be offerring this class on April 5th from 1 pm to 5 pm at her studio in Point Richmond. For more information visit her website at www.thenovastudio.com.

Overall, the class was great. And it was not as difficult as I thought. What was most overwhelming for me was the choosing the right colors to my eyeshadows, blush and foundation. I knew that I wanted to have more yellow in my foundation to tone down the redness in my face. Since this was the case, I felt that really did not need to apply blush or a bronzer. And for eyeshadow, I was not planning to wear one for everyday use because my eyelids have a natural coloring that I do not think I needed any. So, it made it difficcult since I have not warn much make-up in my lifetime.

By the end of the four hour class each student created a foundation, blush or bronzer and eye shadow. (Of course, each student walked away with an extensive handout for each of them to recreate each product.) If you have never worn mineral make-up, I would suggest a kabuki brush to apply your foundation, blush or bronzer. The normal fan or flat brush does not seem to cut it. I wound up bringing a face brush from Maybelline's Expert Tools line. I thought I would be saving buying something from Walmart. I should have know better. I originally wanted a kabuki brush, but I was Walmart any. Big mistake! I should have gone with my original instincts. At least I still had the recent from Walmat and the brush in its original packaging (unopened and unused) so I can return it. I will be heading to Opalz in Palo Alto for a Kabuki brush. Look out Annie - here I come!

I would suggest if you where make-up on a daily basis, especially mineral make-up, that you take your make-up as samples in order for you tp make an close of a match to what you wear. If you normally do not wear make-up (like me) and would like to, consider seeking out some professional help for some direction.

I would also like to mention, if you would like to learn more about applying mineral make-up, Annie Jenkins, owner of Opalz Zoaps in Palo Alto, offers classes in make-up applications and more. Annie has been a successful film and television make-up artist since 1979. She has worked with both celebrities and ‘real people’, doing everything from from specialized character make-up to, most often creating beautiful natural looks. If you like to contact Annie, send her an email at annie@opalzoap.com or she can be reached at (650) 322-6500 (Opalz). Check out her new designed website at www.opalzoap.com.

No comments: