Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Lip Balm Class at the Nova Studio

On October 13th, I finally go to take the lip balm, bath melts (aka Tub Truffles or bath candy), solid scrubs at The Nova Studio. I was really looking forward to taking this class since it was cancelled back in June (2007).

If you are wondering bath melts are they are solid oil product at room temperature but slowly melts in the tub softening the water and releasing a fragrant scent. It was great to learn which oils and butters you can use , what other fun ingredients can be added to make fizzy bath melts, how to scent them using pure essential oils, and several ideas for how to creatively mold and package your melts for gift giving. When finished they actually looked like pieces of candy found in a fancy box.

Solid scrubs have all the exfoliating benefits of a regular salt scrub without the mess - and less packaging too! After taking this class, I know how to make three different versions of scrubs. I think I may like this one the best because it is less messy.

In this primarily demo style class, we learned how to make and package each item. What was really great is that the process is simple. You basically have to measure your ingredients out on a scale, melt the appropriate ingredients and add any colorings, fragrances once everything is melted. What I like about these recipes is that you do not have the melted ingredients at a particular temp before pouring like you do for lotions or creams.

Since we made two of each, I gave a friend one of the bath melts and solid scrubs. I could not decide which lip balm flavor to give her so I kept both. But since the process is so simple, I plan to make my own to send to her.

I would highly recommend this class to everyone! So check out Lori's website at www.thenovstudio.com to see when the next time this class is offerred.

No comments: