Saturday, October 20, 2007

Colorants for Soap Making

When I was learning to how to make soap by the melt and pour method (aka soap crafting or soap casting), I was taught to use a liquid coloring (it is the consistency of food coloring). Then I found out there are powders that you can color your soaps. And now I found a third method of coloring your soaps. It is called gel colors. The consistency of gel colors from Go Planet Earth (what I tried and I cannot speak for products from any other vendor) is similiar to tempora paint. What is really great about it is that the color lasts so using it for your soap embeds it will not bleed or give you that halo effect like the liquid colorant does overtime. Also that means you do not need very much to color your soap.

As, I looking for more information about this product, I was wondering if it would work in other methods of soap making. According to Alicia Gross, author of The Everything Soapmaking Book, says that gel colorants work most effectively in soap-crafting (aka melt and pour or soap crafting) methods which this product was designed for, but it is worth experimenting with in the cold process method.

If you would like to purchase this colorant for your soaps here are some online sites you can purchase this ingredient from:

TKB Trading (http://www.tkbtrading.com/)
Glory Bee Foods (www.glorybeefoods.com/gbF)
Go PlanetEarth (http://www.goplanetearth.com/)

You may want to check other online sites listed in the sidebar to see if they carry this particular products.

As of now, I am not aware of any retail stores that care this particular product. If I find a store that does I will let you know.

No comments: