Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cold or Hot Process Soapmaking

Cold process method is when fats and oils are converted to soap without cooking. Once the oils are heated to a desired temp, a lye/water mixture is added. After stirring for a period of time, the mixture will be converted to soap. Now the only difference between cold process soap making and the hot process, is that the hot process refers to the soap being cooked. This is where the oils and the lye/water mixture solutions are boiled together resulting in soap alot faster. I have heard that the curing time is alot short for the hot process than the cold process method.

I do not teach either method of making soap. But if you are interested in learning how, then may I suggest the following:

The Nova Studio (www.thenovastudio) in Point Richmond, Ca has classes in this method of soap making. I know this may sound like far to go, but as of now this is the only reference I have for a class in this method of soap making.

If you are more interested in reading a book on this subject, my favorite book is "Handcrafted Soap" by Delores Boone. I really like this book because it is easy to follow with beautiful color photos. It is a very good information and recipes for those who want to create their soaps in this manner.

Another book I like is "Essentially Soap" by Dr. Robert S. McDaniel. It has some great recipes and what I really like about the book is the information on fragrances, essential oils, glossary and other ingredients.

No comments: