Sunday, July 22, 2007

3-Types of Body Butters Class @ Nova Studio

In this demo style class, you will learn how to make three completely different types of all natural body butters that are great for rough, dry skin.

The first recipe you will learn is a traditional body butter. This butter is usually a mixture of pure vegetable, nut butters and sometimes liquid oils to create a rich, dense body balm which is great for dry elbows, knees, lips, cuticles and feet. I really like this recipe because of its texture and the way it glides on my skin. It can be alittle greasy, but I just got use to it. The only products that I have tried in this category was a treatment butter with shea butter and sweet almond milk that I purchased on HSN. I would say that this product did not compare with the one made in this class. I really like this recipe because I can add my own fragrance and coloring to fit my mood. What I really found interesting was adding color to this recipe. I normally have used a liquid colorant to most of my body and bath products, but this product I am unable to. Since this product is oil based and a liquid colorant well is water based, the two will not mix. In order to color this traditional body butter we added a mica powder. Mica powders are shimmery, but added to this recipe it will be more creamy because there is no light going through the product. I picked a light green color with a mojito scent. My finished product reminded me of a margarita or daiquri ice sherbert from Baskin Robbins.

The next recipe created in the class was a solid butter bar. This recipe can be used for either a massage bar form or adapted for a stick version for easy carrying. For class purposes, we made the bar version. Once the ingredients were melted, it was poured into a mini muffin silicon pan. Once cooled each student learned how to wrap the bar into a foil candy wrapper. And place a label on the appropriate spot. This would really be cute to make multiples of these and place them in a cellophane bag and give it as party favor. In the future, I do plan to try to make the stick version of this recipes for gifts.

The last recipe created was an exfoliating body butter scrub. I would describe this products as cross between a whipped body butter and a body scrub. If you ever made a salt body scrub with a carrier oil it similar in someway but only in a solid form. After making both products, I think I prefer the body butter version over the regular salt body scrub. The reason being is that I like the creamy consistency of the butter than the liquid body scrub.

Just to let you know that you will receive a bonus recipe that will not be created in class. This bonus recipe is for a whipped body butter version. It is very similar to the exfoliating recipe without the exfoliating ingredients. I would have to say that the whipped body butter recipe is probably a widely used process because I once did see another local person by the name of Joan Moraris demonstrate a recipe on a Sacramento television station.

What is really great about this class is the handouts. They are very detailed with all of the information you need to recreate these recipes. Information on selling your products, packaging and labelling and online resources are also included. I am glad Lori covers how to make your own labels, even though she includes resources on others creating them for you. I had an experience of purchasing some Avery labels and the number did not match so I had to match up the actual size of the label instead. But it still worked out great!

So, I strongly recommend this class if you are interested in making this type of body product. The next class I am taking is the Lip Balm, Bath Melts and Solid Scrubs on 10/13. Look for my next class review!

No comments: