Thursday, December 23, 2010

Button Lip Balm from the Katie Brown Workshop

I recently caught Episode 2 of Season 5 of the Katie Brown Workshop on KCSM (Channel 17 on Comcast and Channel 60 regular broadcast) where she is demonstrated how to make this Button Lip Balm Project. I think is would be a really cute idea to give out as favors for a bridal or baby shower or for any other get together you may be having. This may also be a cute idea for teenager's slumber party. The possibilities are endless.

I thought it was very create how she decorated the top of the lip balm pot with the buttons. Now I have a good reason to use put some buttons I purchased at Michaels long ago.

Although in her recipe she suggests using 2 drops of essential oils. In her demonstration on her show she used Jasmine. Now I love the smell of Jasmine, but I am not sure I would want to have it in my lip balm. I thought she would use a more "edible" flavor of essential oil such as vanilla, or use a candy flavoring to "flavor" her lip balm. I really did not see the essential oil bottles up closely but from afar I do not think they may have been a true essential oil. The bottles were about 1-2 oz and from what I know Jasmine is a very expensive essential oil. I suspect that she is using is not.

Also, I noticed with her instructions that step #1 says melt the beeswax using hot water. This could be miss leading if someone never made lip balm before. You want to use a bain marie or double boiler and melt the beeswax over boilding water, not melt the beeswax in the boiling water. I will have to email them to let them know that they should correct this.

No comments: