Thursday, September 6, 2007

Homebased Craft Business Book

If you are interested in starting your own craft business and do not know where to start, I found a book at my local library by Kenn Oberrecht titled "How to Start a Home-Based Craft Business".

This book is an overall good guide that contains all the necessary tool and strategies to launch a successful craft business in your very own home. The author shares his own experiences in starting his craft business and his advice to help you estimate your start-up costs, manage your cash flow, record keeping and stay profitable once you are in business. What is great about this book is that the information is practical and easy to understand and that is what I liked best about the book. It also has a source directory which includes information on where to locate associations, office supplies, craft supplies, craft magazines and more. I found the information on craft supplies, magazines and supplies were not geared for my craft of soap making but you may want to take a look to see if your particular craft is showcased.

I found this book to be easy to read and informative and can be applied to starting your own craft business. I liked the authors handy worksheets and information on managing your craft business (ie job planning, forecasting and scheduling). And the source directory was helpful especially locating craft magazines. Although, the information on search engines looked like it was out of date. Only reason I say that is because most of them are out of business like Excite and Webcrawler.

Overall, I found this book helpful and would use it as a companion book to my other home based business books which include Soapmaking for Fun & Profit: Make Money Doing What You Love! (For Fun and Profit) by Maria Nerius. Also there are some wonderful books by Barbara Brabeck that you may want to look into.

No comments: