Sunday, May 20, 2007

Class Review: Lotions and Creams 101

On May 19, 2007, I took the Lotions and Creams 101 class at the Nova Studio in Pt. Richmond.

In this class we learned how to make lotions and creams for the body from scratch. The class covered all necessary ingredients, humectants, emollients and all of the equipment to get started making our very own lotions and creams. After the class was complete, we left with 3.5 ounces of lotion, 2 ounce jar of shea butter hand/foot cream, handouts of detail instructions, supplies and information on all of the ingredients.

I will tell you that the products in the class are great! I do not have dry skin so I do not need to use alot of lotions or creams. But I will tell you that the products feel great on your skin and the scent in the products seem to last for along time on your skin.

I will admit I am alittle nervous trying to make these products on my own since you need to be very precise on your measurements and make sure that everything is at the right temperature. But to start off I did purchase the KD-7000 scale from her. I am planning to purchase all the right tools to create these magnificent products (ie Blending stick, a thermometer, etc).

If you are thinking of selling this type of product to the public, Lori goes over what you need to do to be able to sell your creations (ie Product Challenge Testing to Labeling to Insurance).

Also, I just want to let you know that this class is primarily demonstration/lecture style with some hands-on elements. Due of the necessity of making the emulsion product in batches, Lori demos that portion of the class, but the student gets to scent, color and package the product.

It is well worth the trip over to her studio. I give the class 2 thumbs up!

No comments: