Sunday, June 17, 2007

Double Boiler

After taking the Lotions and Creams class at the Nova Studio, I realized that I needed to purchase some equipment so that in the future I could make those products. I really did not want to spend a heck of alot of money since I am on a limited budget, but I did not want to pay a arm and a leg for something that I am going to make body products with. What I was looking for was a 3 quart stainless steel double boiler with a glass lid for about $20.00. You think that would be an easy task, but it was not.

First, I looked at Walmart since I was finding a stick blender, 8 cup measuring cup, and a thermator for great prices. I found a 3 quart double boiler for $30.00, but it had the casserole type handles and I was looking for a stick handle double boiler which would be alot easier for pouring purposes. Then I checked TJ Maxx and Marshalls. They had a 3 quart, but it had the steamer insert ($16.99) instead, so that was not going to work. I even tried Mervyn's and Macy's. Mervyn's did not have anything and Macy's had a their own brand of a 3 quart (with no glass lid, but a stainless steel lid) for $24.99. That was a great price, but not exactly what I was looking for, but in a pinch I would consider it. I checked out Williams Sonoma and all they had was a copper double boiler with a ceramic insert. I think the price was $179.00 or something out of this world. I did not go into a Crate and Barrel, but I checked out there website and did not find anything.

Then I tried the internet. My first instinct was Ebay. Nothing there. Then I tried Bed, Bath and Beyond and Linens-n-Things. Did not find anything there. But, I did go into a Linens-n-Things in Union City and found that they have a 3 quart from Faberware for $34.99. I thought that was way too expensive, even if I used a 20% coupon. But, then I found there own brand of a double boiler. It was a 2 quart and it was a great price of $14.99. And with a coupon, the price would be even better. Plus the handles were ergonomically comfortable with a rubber grip. But, it had a ceramic insert and since I would placing that insert on a digital scale, I did not want the insert to mess up the scale in any way.

So, I checked Target's website. They had a Farberware for $39.99. A Welco 2 qt for $19.99, a Gourmet Standard 2 at w/glass lid for $22.99 and a Krona 1.5 qt for $39.99. The Welco sounded about right, but then I thought about the shipping charges and tax which would make it alot more expensive. I thought it may be better to go directly to a Target store. I went to the aisle with the pots and pans. I will admit I was disappointed because I did not see any double boilers. I was about ready to leave, but something told me to go to the next aisle over. On the shelf there were some stock pots. Low and behold there was a 3 qt double boiler (with a glass lid and cushioned handles) by Chef's Choice for $21.99. Then and there I bought it. Yeah! I would have like to have paid under $20.00, but I was really tired of looking. So, a difference of a couple of bucks is not such a big deal. I am happy that I finally found one.

If you are looking for a double boiler to make your lip balms, body butters, lotions or creams- check out Target's Chef's Choice Double Boiler for $21.99.

No comments: