Friday, May 14, 2010

Homemade Made Soap Article Appears in National Craft Magazine

Today I was browsing at Barnes and Noble in Redwood City. CA just browsing at some books.  Before I left I went to the magazine section to look at the craft magazines they carried. I happened to come across the Spring 2010 issue of Living Crafts.  I was suprised to see on the cover an article on handmade soapmaking. Too be honest I rarely see any craft magazines contains articles on the subject and it was very nice to see a national magazine covering the subject.  There are not too many craft magazines covering the subject of soapmaking.  Most of them cover scrapbooking, papercrafting and knitting.

The article titled "Handmade Soap...Using Nature's Cupboard" was written by Tracy Adams who has appeared on HGTV's "That's Clever:", teaching clasess at John C Campbell Folk School in North Carolina.  She is also makes soaps and is the owner of Nanty's Naturals.  The article which appears on page 30, is a very nice step by step directions (with nice color photographs) on how to make cold process soap, but the cover price of $6.99 I found very steep and I hope I can find a local library that might have a copy so I can check it out.

If your local bookstore carries this magazine, I would recommend taking a look at the article just for the pleasure of how Tracy makes her own soaps.

3 comments:

Amy Boyack said...

I think more and more people are realizing how luxurious homemade soaps can be. I personally had no idea until I ordered some recently from Spun Monkey Bath & Body. Wow! What a difference it can make to have great ingredients. I don't think I'd have the patience or the time to make my own, so I'm glad there are those out there who will do it for me.

Erin Pikor said...

Great little video but I noticed there were no gloves or goggles when she mixed the lye into the oils! Doh!

Lori Stoia said...

Naiad Soap Arts...Good Eyes! If I were making cold process soap I would definately have those pieces of equipment on me. Once I had a small drop of lye water splash on me and boy did it burn!