Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lip Balm, Eye Balm and Body Balm Class with Joan

On October 11, 2008, I took a class on lip balm, eye balm and body body balm class with Joan at The Nova Studio (http://www.thenovastudio.com/).

This is the second class I have taken from Joan (the first class was a body butters class that I took back in July) and just like the first class I was very satisfied with the outcome. Joan is very knowledgeable about the ingredients she uses and her instructions in her handouts are very simple and to the point. This is really nice because then it makes it so much to recreate these products at home.

Just to let you know that this class is a 3 hour demonstration style class. So, Joan first starts out the class discussing the ingredients. This is a great way to start out, but sometimes it gets to be too much and it seems like she has to rush to complete the class by the ending time. I would suggest is condensing the discussion of the ingredients in the beginning and include more of a discussion of the differences between a body balm, foot balm and eye balm. And maybe include in her handout how to adapt her recipes from a body balm to a foot balm. This is only a minor thing which does not diminish the overall atmosphere of the class. What was a definate bonus during this portion of the class is that Joan discussed how to make your own infused oil. It is really simple and I look forward to doing this in the future!

Joan is very easy going and is more than happy to answer any questions one may have. Her handouts are very easy to follow and have wealth of information from ingredients to suppliers. By the end of the class, students will take home with them a lip balm, an eye balm and a 8 oz body balm.
After taking this class, I will make all of these products. I will probably start making the lip balms first. The eye and body balms are a firmer product than a body butter. And I found them difficult to retrieve from the jar. So, when I make them in the future I may package them in push tubes and see how that works. Maybe it will be easier to apply a foot balm to my cracked heels!

What was especially nice that out of the 15 students, three of them were guys! So for all the guys out there - learning to make your own body products is not only a gal thing, but for guys too!

I would highly recommend taking this class. So, if you would like to see when Joan is teaching this class next at the Nova Studio, go to the studio's website at http://www.thenovastudio.com/ or check out Joan's website at http://www.joanmorais.com./. If you would like to see a full description of the class, here is a link that you can review http://www.thenovastudio.com/description_joan_balms.htm.

I would like to take Joan's Aromatherapy Soy Candles class. The next time the class is offered is in December. I am not sure if I am able to take it then since money is on the tight side. She also teaches a beeswax candle making class. I think it may be offered on the same day. If you can take these classes, I would suggested it. Because candles make great gifts and this is the right time for it. It always seems that friends and family like to receive gifts that you make, especially the type they can use.

No comments: