Thursday, January 17, 2008

Soapsicles Soaps

Serve "soapsicles" for a fun way to bath.

From "Craft Lab"episode DCLB-261 which airs on the DIY Network.

Jennifer Perkins and Debbie Chialtas make soapsicles out of Popsicle molds. This is a really fun project that is a great way to get the kids to stay clean.

Materials:

white soap base
mica colorant
lime, orange and strawberry fragrance oils
rubbing alcohol in spray bottle
Popsicle molds
glass measuring cup
Popsicle sticks
small cups

Steps:

- Melt three ounces of the white soap base in a measuring cup.

- Dissolve orange colorant in the orange fragrance in a small cup.

- Mix the orange colorant into the white soap base and stir thoroughly.

- Pour orange soap into a Popsicle mold. Let set for 15 minutes until set but still slightly soft.

- Insert a Popsicle stick. Put soapsicles in the freezer for 30 minutes for easy removal of the soapsicles from the mold.

- Remove soap from the mold and allow to warm to room temperature.

- Cut one-third off of each side of the orange soapsicle lengthwise.

- Melt and color two ounces of white soap for both the strawberry and lime sections of the soapsicles.

- Insert orange soap with stick back into the center of the Popsicle mold.

- Spray the cut sides of the orange soap with alcohol while in the mold.

- Pour melted lime soap into one side of the mold and pour melted strawberry soap into the other side of the mold.

- Put soapsicles into the freezer for 30 minutes and release.

GUESTS : Debbie Chialtas, Soapylove Website: http://www.soapylove.com/


8 comments:

Tami said...

Where did you get the molds from? SO others can buy them as well

Lori Stoia said...

Since I found this recipe on DIY's website, I have not made them myself. I looked at the guest's website www.soaplove.com and all she sells is the soaps she makes not the molds.

You may have to do a search on the internet for popsicle molds. So, I would say that you may want to check Tupperware or any online site that kitchen items.

If I find any sites, I will let you know.

Lori Stoia said...

Another suggestion is to try Ebay.

Lori Stoia said...

Since I found this recipe on DIY's website, I have not made them myself.

You may have to do a search on the internet for popsicle molds. So, I would say that you may want to check Tupperware or any online site that kitchen items.

If I find any sites, I will let you know.

Lori Stoia said...

.

Lori Stoia said...

I saw on a show on the Food Network about a treats convention in Las Vegas. And they did a segment on silicone ice cream molds. It is coldmolds.com. The actual page is http://www.coldmolds.com/popmolds.htm.

Take a look. Silicone is very easy in releasing glycerin soap.

Lori Stoia said...

I just found out that Wholesales Supplies Plus (www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com) will be selling the popsicle molds.

Here is the link from their blog on the announcement:

http://wholesalesuppliesplus.blogspot.com/2008/04/soap-pop-mold.html

Lori Stoia said...

I just wanted to share my experience with this recipe.

I had purchased a popsicle mold from Bed Bath and Beyond for only $2.99. I was abit nervous that my soap would not come out. So, I only filled one just in case I had to break away the mold. But it did work with out any cooking spray. Although, I had wait awhile and even put it in the freezer just in case. But after wiggling it, the soap eventually came out without breaking.