Friday, December 14, 2007

Homemade Hair Gel Recipe

Some of us absolutely can not style our hair without some sort of gel. Especially those of us with curly and hard to manage hair. It adds up though, and can get quite expensive buying different hair care products.


The following recipe for homemade hair gel is on our home hair care recipes page at Idea Queen. It’s also found (with many, many others) in the Bath & Body recipes ebook, which has over 250 different recipes you can try out at home.


Homemade Scented Hair Gel


Ingredients:

1 cup water
2 Tablespoons flax seed
2 drops scented oil — your choice of scent


Instructions:

-Combine water and seeds in a small saucepan.
-Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
-Allow to set for a half an hour.
-Strain through fine collander.
-When completely cooled, add scented oil.-Transfer to a wide-mouthed jar with lid.


NOTES : Use as you would any hair gel product.


If you are looking for other recipes, check out some of the links in the side bar or check in my archive. There are alot of recipes in both places. I am always looking for new recipes to post on my blog, so please return in the future.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'd like some help with this one. I found the same recipe on another site and followed the steps. But I found it very difficult to strain the gel away from the seeds. The seeds and gel just sat in the wire stainer and didn't move. Should I have uses a different kind of strainer?

Lori Stoia said...

I am thinking that maybe the mixture was too thick before you put in the strainer. Or the holds were either too small.

Lori Stoia said...

I just thought that maybe you can use a fine strainer. And strain it before you allow it to sit and cool.

Anonymous said...

HI Lori. I actually did try that the first time... straining it early and then letting it sit. It came out too watery. I think it really needs to sit with the flax seeds.

But this weekend I tried a different method which worked better. I strained it through an old stocking. That way, I was able to squeeze the gel out. You do have to be careful not to squeeze so hard you make a hole in the stocking. But I couldn't squeeze at all using the wire strainer (pushing with a spoon didn't help.)