Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Experience with Cold Process Soapmaking

It is has been almost six years since I learned how to make by the Melt & Pour Method, aka Soap Crafting, that I took Lori Nova's Cold Process Soapmaking 101 class on November 10th.

I guess why I waited so long was the fear of working with lye, but I really liked creating soaps by the Melt and Pour Method. But as time passed by teaching the M&P Method, I wanted to be more informed on both Cold Process and Hot Process of soapmaking. I was ready for the challenge.

I had a the basic concepts down by talking to people who have created soap by the CP method and going as far as purchasing two books. The books I had purchased were "Handcrafted Soaps" by Delores Boone which covers the Hot Process Method and "Essentially Soaps" by Dr. Robert McDaniel. Handcrafted Soaps is a great book with colored step by step instructions on how to create soap by the Hot Process Method. And Essentially Soaps has some good info on Cold Process and herbs, etc. but I really did not care for the recipes. Although both books had good qualities, I really needed to have that one on one experience in order to ask any questions.

When I was at The Nova Studio's anniversary in September, I met Alica Grosso, who wrote "The Everything Soapmaking Book." I really liked the layout and the easy to read format. In no way was the information dummied down. And comparing Grosso's book to the "Candlemaking and Soapmaking for Dummies" it is far superior. So, I had purchased the book and read it before the class which was coming up in six weeks. Of course, it did not take me that long.

After reading the book, I felt the comfortable taking the class. And I would say that taking Lori's class reinforced the information in the book and provided additional information. So, I was glad that I read the book prior to the class. And now I do not have the fear of lye. It is basically having the respect of the ingredient and taking the appropriate cautions.

I was planning to take the Hot Process class later that day, but due to another commitment, I could not stay. I do plan to take that class in addition to her advanced CP class.

I guess what my fear now is working with SAP values. And what I mean by that is that if you change or do not have enough of one oil is find out what oil is similar in order not to screw up a recipe. So that is my next fear to conquer.

If you do not live in the San Francisco Bay Area to take Lori's class and you want to learn the Cold Process Method, I would recommend doing a research on classes in your area. Always a good place to look is on Craigslist. Other places there maybe listings would be on Upcoming.org or Zvents.com. Second, check your local adult schools, community education or parks & recreation venues. But, I found that classes on the subject are taught by people you have their studios. Since there are alot of things that need to be brought to the class (ingredients, pots, stove top, etc.) that it is have everything in one location.

I would say that my experience with Cold Process has been a pleasant one. And once I have the opportunity to make a bar of soap in this method, I am planning to attempt my first batch. I will let you know how it goes. But if you want to learn the Hot Process Method, it is best to take a Cold Process Method class prior to the Hot Process Class.

No comments: